A. General Provisions
1. The International Orthodontics Foundation Research Grants (the "IOF Research
Grant") are offered by the International
Orthodontics Foundation Limited (the "IOF") in order to assist scholars and researchers in academic
to orthodontics and endorse the innovation of orthodontics and related industries all over the world.
2. To ensure impartiality and credibility and to ensure the well-functioning of the IOF Research Grant,
IOF has implemented
these terms and conditions for the application of IOF Research Grant (the "Terms & Conditions").
B. Application and Award of IOF Research Grant
1.The 2023-2024 IOF Research Grants timeline is:
(1) Start of the application: June 16th,
(2) Deadline for applications: October 31st,
(3) Announcement of the Awards: Spring,
2. IOF Research Grant is consisted of three sub-types:
(1) Young Research Grant with a maximum funding
of USD 15,000 per project and the research period shall be one (1) year;
Recipients can renewal their project for a second year for an additional maximum funding of USD
15,000 if necessary.
(2) Elite Research Grant with a maximum grant of USD 30,000 per project and the Research Period shall be one (1) year. Recipients must provide a Progress Report after the first half year to receive continued funding for the second half year. Recipients can renewal their project for a second year for an additional maximum funding of USD 30,000 if necessary.
(3) Clinical Research Grant with a maximum
grant of USD 100,000 per project and the Research Period shall be two (2) years.
Recipients must provide a Progress Report after the first year to receive continued funding for the
Recipients can renewal their project for a third year for an additional maximum funding of USD
30,000 if necessary.
3. Applicant for IOF Research Grant should meet the following criteria:
(1) Applicants for Young Research Grant shall
be postgraduate students, resident physicians, attending physicians, assistant
professors or other professionals with similar qualifications in orthodontics and related
(2) Applicants for Elite Research Grant shall
be associate professors and professors of orthodontics and related industries
or other professionals with similar qualifications;
(3) Applicants for Clinical Research Grant
shall be clinical research teams of orthodontics and related industries who plan
to regularly publish papers in peer-reviewed academic journals.
4. Application for IOF Research Grant shall be submitted on IOF's official
5. IOF Research Grant applications are processed in two phases:
(1) Phase One: Applicants shall submit in
accordance with the application guidelines in the official website of IOF, and the
Medical Operation Group will conduct a preliminary review of application materials within fifteen
 working days upon
(2) Phase Two: For projects that meet the
application conditions of IOF Research Grant, the Medical Operation Group will
notify the applicant by email confirmation. For projects that do not qualify, notification will be
sent by email as well
and the applicant has until the deadline to submit an updated version of the project.
6. Applicants have the right to accept or decline the awarded grant within [ten
(10) working days upon receipt of the IOF
Research Grant Notice. Failure to respond to the IOF Research Grant Notice shall be regarded as the
irrevocably renounced the IOF Research Grant.
7. By accepting the IOF Research Grant, the grant recipient (the "Grantee")
agrees to comply with these Terms & Conditions
and shall enter into a research grant agreement with IOF.
8. Reapplication of a previous unfunded project is permitted. The applicant
must make appropriate and major changes to the
C. Terms on Budget and Budget Justifications
1. The grant shall be used strictly and solely for the execution and completion
of the research project for which the grant
is provided (the "Project") and in accordance with other terms and conditions of the grant.
2. In case the Grantee desires to propose any material adjustment of the
Project scope and activities and/or any increase
of the Project budget, the Grantee shall apply for and obtain IOF's prior written consent. For all
adjustment of Project scope or budget please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. If the IOF Research Grant will be used to support only a portion of the
Project, the applicant shall clearly identify
the specific portion of the assignment and the other remaining funds received and shall provide a list
of all other
agencies or funds which provide funding to the Project, the relevant funding amount, and the nature of
4. IOF Research Grants do not cover and support:
(1) Transportation fees except for attendance
to professional meetings or participation in relevant project development
workshops, to a maximum of ten percent (10%) of the total amount of the grant (Transportation costs
class fares are not covered);
(2) Purchasing of general electronic devices
for the Project (e.g., computers, phones, etc.). For specific purchases,
indicate in the budget section of the grant application;
(3) Supplementary faculty or organisation
salaries, stipends and/or tuition fees;
(4) Entertainment and personal charges,
organisation dues, production of illustration and other irrelevant costs; and
(5) In case of leftover funds, the Grantee must
notify the Scientific Committee by email at email@example.com. The use of
the leftover funds shall be determined by the discretion of IOF.
D. Grants Payment
1. Except in unusual instances, determined by the discretion of IOF, payments
will be made only to accredited institutions
(e.g. university, hospital, institute or other legal entity).
2. If the IOF Research Grant is awarded to a person, it shall be paid out to the
university, hospital, institute, or other
legal entity at which the Grantee is employed (the "Host"). The Host shall be responsible, jointly with
the Grantee, for
proper administration of the IOF Research Grant. The Host shall make staff, equipment, facilities, and
available for the benefit of the Grantee and the relevant research project in accordance with the
descriptions in the
E. Duration and Continuity of the Project
1. The Grantee should begin work on the Project as soon as practical. If the
Grantee cannot begin the Project within six
(6) months starting from the transfer of the grant fund ("Project Commencement Date"), the grant shall
be cancelled. Any
grant disbursed by IOF for this Project must be immediately returned.
2. In order to continue to enhance the quality of future applications, a
summary critique will be provided for both funded
and unfunded applications.
F. Progress and Final Report
1. A progress report (the "Progress Report") is required for the resubmission
of projects for continued funding. The
Progress Report is due at the same time as new applications for the next year.
2. No later than six (6) months after finalisation of the Project, the Grantee
shall provide IOF with a scientific report
covering the entire Research Period and outlining the main results obtained and conclusions to be drawn
Report"). An exception to this deadline may be granted in the case that the Grantee has received a
written extension by
the Scientific Committee. Extensions must be requested in writing, three (3) months in advance of the
deadline, and are
subject to IOF's approval via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
3. Unless an extension has been granted, if the Grantee fails to submit a Final
Report six (6) months after the stated
deadline, the Grantee and it's Host (as the case maybe) may not be eligible to apply for any additional
by the IOF for a period of one (1) year.
4. IOF may request the Grantee to provide a final report on the use of all
grant funds. This final report on grant funds
shall be presented in a structure and at a level of detail so as to make them easily comparable to the
most recently approved by IOF, and include an overview of the use of any co-funding of the Project (if
G. Intellectual Property Rights
1. The Grantee shall use their best efforts to pursue publication of the
Project results in recognized international
scientific journals. In case of any such scientific publications, the Grantee shall ensure proper
recognition of IOF by
stating the relevant publications that the relevant Project is funded by IOF.
2. The Grantee is aware that IOF will, on a regular basis, disclose to the
public an overview of any and all grants awarded
over a given period of time, and they accept and agree to the fact that their names will appear as part
of such overview
which will also include a description of the Project and its status.
3. By accepting the Award, the IOF receives permission from the Grantee to
distribute the Progress Report and/or Final
4. Plagiarism, falsification or fabrication of any document related to the
Project shall deem the Grantee excluded for any
IOF funding indefinitely.
H. Compliance and applicable law
1. The Grantee shall ensure that the Project is managed and carried out in
accordance with any applicable national and
international legislation and research standards, including without limitation:
(1) Generally recognized standards for good
(2) National and international rules on
protection of safety and rights of patients and healthy volunteers.
(3) National and international rules on animal
(4) National and international rules on
protection of personal data.
(5) National rules and Host guidelines on work
2. The Grantee shall be responsible for obtaining any and all approvals and
consents from public authorities and third
parties which are necessary for carrying out the Project. In case any such approvals and consents cannot
within the time frame stated by the Grantee in the grant application, IOF shall not be obligated to pay
out any part of
the grant and may, furthermore, demand the return of any funds already paid by IOF.
1. The IOF Research Fund is not intended to create any third-party beneficiary
rights as to the institution.
2. The Grantee shall notify IOF of any change in the Grantee 's employment or
affiliation status with their Host, and IOF
may, in its sole discretion, terminate the grant as a result of such change in status.
3. Any grant amount payable by IOF is inclusive of all applicable taxes. The
Host and/or the Grantee (as the case may be)
shall be solely responsible for any taxes and charges that may become due as a result of payment and
receipt of the
Grant and the required tax filings with the competent tax authority, and shall indemnify and hold IOF
harmless from any
and all liabilities arising from the Host and/or the Grantee (as the case may be)'s failure to do so.